6.08.2005

Verizon DSL

So I have this internet service provider named Verizon DSL. Every coupla months or so our modem and/or wireless router act up. I go through the process of unplugging and waiting and rebooting and restarting and all the steps they tell you while you wait to speak to "REPRESENTATIVE" (I always yell it right away at the automated voice response lady).

Well its time. It may be a coincidence that it happened right after a series of power outages. It may be a coincidence that my housemate has just unloaded a shitload of bands cds and junk right into the corner on top of the cords and stuff. Either way it no worky and it makes me very very mad.

I get on the line last night with the tech support person who is reading from an outline that I could write. I know exactly what he's going to ask me, and I know I am being the bitchiest person on the planet when I speak to him but thats only because I know in the series of questions they will always return to the same farking questions.

A part of me has some remorse for this customer service agent, because I too have worked CS in so many places, that I feel entitled to act bitchy to someone who is not definitively helping me or giving me some course of action- instead of waiting for me to leave or hang-up. In my CS days, I am sure I had the table turned where I thought, "I am getting paid $5 an hour and I know this woman is a bitch and I am going to intentionally piss her off". I have even been called a bitch before when I worked in coffee- that one I believe was undeserved.

When my troubleshooting buddy asked me for the fifth time if I have any filters or phonelines in use because our line indicated some interference. I moved toward apeshit. I said, "I am going to tell you this one more time, we haven't done ANYTHING different from yesterday when everyone one of our operating systems worked beautifully. Do NOT ask me that question again. Got it?"

He did get it for a while. He put me on hold to process the order. He was so darned polite. He apologized for the waiting and all and I mentioned that it was okay cause I was just designing a website. We then got into a friendly conversation about how great style sheets were.

until dsl.d

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would have completely held my composure until he started talking about how wonderful style sheets were. At that point, I would have chosen the nuclear option. I have yet to find my zen as you have.