4.20.2005

Big Bovine

Sometimes, life and current affairs align, and I don't have to write about a bachelorette party.

Last night, my American-Italian friend brought over the very curious How To Get Ahead in Advertising, which reminded me of a very incident that happened during football this weekened. More on the movie later- it ties back in I promise, I think.

This weekend over football(3-1), the fields at Patterson Park were packed to the gills due to the extremely beautiful weather. Our team was one of many grilling out watching other football games. Someone a few yards over on another team pointed out a very slow moving cow mascot converging between two of the fields to the center diamond. We speculated that someone had really taken the league too seriously, when we saw 3 more coming from another location. Its 2 in the afternoon and its 80 degrees. Wierd. So one of the cows comes up to our sprawl and does its mascot mime thing- giving out only a keychain with a cute little cow (with mind control or milk?) with only this link written on it. My brother determined that it must of been a guy as only a few of the girls on the team were offered a keychain and he was skipped over. We offered him a beer, which he put in his cow felt bag and waved good-bye.

Today at the weekly, we checked out the website and still there is no indication what all this propaganda was about. Government control? Buttercup? Herd poison? Obvious addy awards for 2005? But further investigation pulled up this. Just google it. there is a lot of talk and its local. kind of freaks me out that there is a meeting for the future. I don't care if its just chic-fil-a.

Anyway. that brings me back to the big brother and How to Get Ahead in Advertising. That movie disturbed me greatly. For reasons besides the frequent exchange with a boil. 1. I swear that Charlie Kaufman must have wrote it- or used it as a bible. 2. I believe that the whole truwth campaign was lifted from it. boy I can get fired on that one. It really got the old blood boiling about the business(pun fully intended). Which then led me to a summary of the upcoming release of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, where earthlings accidentally "naturally select"- instead of the doctors and scientists, car salesman and advertisers. pretty funny stuff. If anyone has a copy of this book to lend me -twould be great. There was a big brother tie in somewhere but I lost it. dAmnIT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the cow thing has me seriously on edge. i saw the cows walking up charles street one morning when i was work and i was rather hungover so i thought i was hallucinating. i'm glad i wasn't. but it's the talk of the proverbial town, aint it? did you see the sun article?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/lifestyle/bal-to.bovine20apr20,1,6399869.story?ctrack=2&cset=true

creepy.

also, i have a copy of hitchhiker's guide i could loan you. well, my husband does. it's hilarious.

I got somethin to say said...

malice- wow. the cow thing backed by the biggest ad agency in Baltimore. My brain is so maleable. Just for a second I do enjoy thinking that the cows are part of a serious mounting revolt.

I would love to borrow HGTTG. I live nearby the house you babysat for last week- if you happen to pop by there. you know we know each other right?