1.08.2006

first week impressions

So all my first day mania of different impressions have began to die down. I am slowly becoming acquainted to my new job description and environs. My misleadingly large (and temporary until new space cube) office had me whirling as to what I was exactly supposed to do in there. The only books on the shelves were a really old edition of Elements of Writing Style and Design in the Electronic Age with a clip art illustration of some Rennaissance peeps working on a desktop computer.

One thing that continues to bother me is the commute out of the city. I have always felt compelled to work close-by. I mean its the city right? brimming with activity and industry thats why I chose to live here. So for now I will have to focus on the quiet retreat it lends. When I walk outside I can hear my footsteps. Here, between the Young Unwed Mothers Agressive Debate Club late everynight and the firehouse up the street, my mind is swimming with my own thoughts and the sounds of trouble all around me. Those moments at work even just walking to the cafeteria where my pace is the only metronome for my thoughts for what feels like a good mile away. Pretty nice.

I've also had a 75% cutback on obsessive financial hysteria. What an interrupting cow to my thoughts that was! This is just the first week--when I am sitting home on a paid holiday, I am sure I will have a lot more things to say about Senor 9-5.

No comments: