1.12.2006

Alabaster crashes d0wn (s1x months is a long time?)

Not since my beloved ford e$$cort, have I really cruised listening to the Smiths. I had it banned from my ears as bad pathetic self-loathing break-up music for my 90s. but the ban has been lifted, and I find quite coincidentally, that I am travelling along the same Rolling Road(it never changes) thinking the same things as I once did 8 years ago when I hear words about a heartless hand on my shoulder.

My first boyfriend was O-B-sessed with the band and introduced me to the music--making my first ever "jimmy tape". He painstakingly pulled nearly all of "l0uder than bombs" with some smatterings of his special faves. His tape-recording craft was impecable. Only one song was cut off, and later I would attribute special soar heart-felt meaning to it. When I hear the song now I anticipate the cut off and stopping sound of what I know to be the end, but now it keeps going. I guess I could make some sort of anecdote for that. The song was "Let the right one in".

He also began a very frustrating habit of reciting certain lyrics, just in fascination and identifcation. I would scramble to uncover their meanings as if it was a code. hmmm..."nature is a language can't you read". thats gotta mean something.

I guess when you are 20 you assign everything a meaning thats why love hurts like a big bitchy morrissey. I really think we could have conducted our whole break-up in Smith lyrics alone. I wish we would have. Thats the way a first romance should be. bitter and melodramatic.

No comments: