7.21.2005

decisionless

I have been encountering a plethora( my bros favorite SAT word) of irration towards the friends-with babies sets. I am starting to not take all the blame in my feelings that their lives are chafing my biological time clock and my video game playing lifestyle like a 25km katamari.

example 1:
Friend(s) who I haven't talked to in a loooong time (no blaming) call to tell me that they are having a baby.
I am genuinely excited. If I am not able to muster up a satisfiable gush in the 2 minutes of the 2 hours that have been set aside to call up all the long lost friends since venturing into the couple cave- I hope they forgive me. It seems they are disappointed by my reaction since I am not able to reach their level of excitement. Meanwhile, I am reminded that the friendship has died a bit. After the phone call I will fondly picture the friend (and how they can't even take care of their dog or keep their room clean) with newborn baby, and think, "Great for them. This will be a wonderful learning experience for them." But DONT ask me to engage in that sudden moment. Sorry. Its how my emotions work. They need a bit of foreplay.

For instance, if I am involved with a Fluid Movement performance, oh say in 9 months(actually 1), is it okay if I go to my dusty old address book wherever it is and call up everyone and devise some witty way to break the news? Yes it is. ok. well thats a bad comparison.

example 2:
After reading eebmore's funny post about vegetarians I was reminded of the comparison (geesh I compare a lot) I like to make of meateaters to smokers. They both tend to feel that the nonsmoker and vegger are passing judgement.They respond defensively or proudly to their decisions or secretly laugh among themselves at the others sensitivities. Deep down I bet my vegger friends think I am a stinky savage who can't resist bacon- as I think of my smoker friends.

This seems to happen with kids.Only its so much bigger of a choice. I was just reading the Mobtown Shank and saw an event for the Rock-n-Romp that said "No Childless", which made me feel like the wife of Abraham or whoever, as I read it. Like I was rendered choiceless in the matter PLUS I am excluded. I am sure it was an issue related to word-trimming but still, be nice to me or I will teach your child really dirty words people!

Now back to rolling up as many maidens as I possibly can.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

nice post.

with all due respect to Bad News Hughes, that wasn't so much my post as it was really long excerpts from his post, with me only adding a single paragraph.

>”They both tend to feel that the nonsmoker and vegger are passing >judgment”

Well... they are, aren’t they? I think that the significant difference to the two is that smoking is horrible for your health and there may be justification for them passing judgment; while eating meat is fantastic for your health and they certainly have no justification. Yes, I know, there are arguments that say that eating meat is bad for your health, but those are ALL LIES.

And the rock-n-romp thing. With all due respect to Sweetney and her d.c. counterpart, I think the whole idea of that is for it to be be a networking tool for the actively breeding. (and it think sweetney said it once herself) for those who do not have children, rock-n-romp should probably best be interpreted as the LAMEST IDEA IN THE UNIVERSE. Sure, we’re excluded, but were also excluded from theater workshops in the State Penitentiary. As productive as those workshops may be for the recidivists, I don’t think we’re really missing out on anything.

Anonymous said...

I didn't read the full original post- just what you selected - and of course the clever addition. It was just a reminder that there is so many dividing lines over everyones choices.

I also didn't realize that the Rock n- romp was Sweetneys (smaltiblog!). I fully appreciate the premise of the program and being excluded. I just can't appreciate being filed under "childless"- its probably a personal thing I need to get over.

As for the theater shops at the State Penitentiary- DAMN!

Unknown said...

heh. that wasn't meant as a dig at rock-n-romp as it was at the life of having children. after all, the maryland department of corrections theater workshops did give us Charles Dutton.

Anonymous said...

Charles Dutton! How could I have forgotten that juicy Baltimore factoid?