9.18.2005

sick competition

Fall football is back in swing with a team that has doubled in size. I began the season regreeting all the old members and trying to calm some of the new female players with funny stories at my athletic expense. That was not a good idea. It made it seem like I wasn't trying when I got dusted 2x for a touchdown by a girl with an evident sports injury. I am a firm believer that confidence and taking yourself seriously in sports is essential. I can tell thats where I am different from my teammates and why I will quickly advance as the reputation of third-string-veteran-sister-of-the-captain player. It is also why people who aren't as good at me in tennis win. Its not that I am not competitive. I hate losing. I hate being serious. I'm not sure what the season holds or if I will hold out.

Here is an email from of our new star division 1 Basketball/soccer and rugby player before the season began addressed to the QB ad the whole team:

Gimme some background -
new gender plays makes the girls crucial - do we split time or are we trying to win?
My Sobo team is die hard - so give me some background - so i can get on the
[team name's] page!
[Team Captain] - ill pass on the email to [another new division 1 track and basketball player with hightop cleats] - she's pretty sick athlete so we stoked!

No comments: