9.14.2008

ipod tale: part i

I've had a reconditioned ipod nano sitting in my target online shopping cart for about a month now. I don't know what the hesitation was in getting it to replace my much whined about lost one, but something told me to wait.

A few days ago, I happened to be following macrumors.com in anticipation of Adobe CS4, when I discoverednthe new nano had been announced at a Steve Jobsy type conference–and it was practically the same price, with more capacity to rock, and it came in alotta colors.

so no brainer, I went online to buy it where I was confronted with an engraving option. I thought for a moment about what lyric i should inscribe into my newest igadgetbaby. the browser window was dormant for the rest of friday afternoon. A commitment to color was going to be decision enough.

Saturday, the smartest day to venture into the Apple store in Towson, my friend PC-teacher and I took a long overdue trip to the mall. She moved right along past the 50+ person apple store onto Anthropologip. I walked in, being the apple snob (as my mall companion calls me) thinking I deserve and will get immediate attention, as I am not there for ridunkulous requests ("I am here to trade in my ipod for one with built-in speakers.*") I know EXACTLY what I want and its right there on the table. GREEN, 8gb, no case, and no crapple care.

Apple stores have this innovative new consumer system you might be aware of: The staff all wear little registers on them and they wear tshirts with clever little slogans like "I know people". Orange shirts answer your questions and put you on a list and pretend like you are at a party. Aqua shirts get merchandise somewhere through the back of the store, maybe by bicycle in Pennsylvania. (note: do not wear these color ts into the store unless you're in to mild-manhandling.)

Orange shirts work faster, ya know? they forget that they've talked to you, and ask you what you need and you say something stupid like: "I'm on a list". meanwhile, if they had products out, you could simply hand it to them to ibuy. This pattern went on for 23 minutes, in which time, I had changed my opinion on the color of my nano about 23 times with certainty. This is a good time to point out that that the red ipod is not simply a color. I found this out cycling the table after having decided to go with charcoal so it would match all my other electronics. Whoa, red, fights Aids in Africa. how can I be so selfish with green or charcoal or white. But since I am fairly sure i want those colors, i could just make a donation and not be a slave to choices... ARRG! this is not the internal dialogue i want to be having. grumbling begins... I like lines! i like a visual display of my wait and the retards in front of me and the losers behind me.

part ii: ipod and nike, loading your ipod when you are mildly drunk and then running the next day.

inscriptions?

* do they make an ipod with built-in speakers?

No comments: