1.06.2005

Testing the smoke on the water OR
End of A Maritime Era, part III

So I haven't written Part II, of my aquatic adventures in MITAGeritaville, but I have to skip ahead to the final chapter, as surprisingly enough, it ended abruptly last night! 28. mature? female. busted.

Before I begin, I would just like to say that swimming pools should be the public domain equivalency of a water fountain. its the law. You know water is one of our Constitutional rights, so why shouldn't swimming be? Water for the soul, thats what I say.

OK. Tale begins with my brother Mike(the lifeguard), officewizard's boyfriend (the boyfriend), and Tom (the bartender, fellow maritime pool user and general rowdyperson), all encouraging my attempts to continue using the pool at the Maritime even though Mike is no longer working there. The urgings were all correct. I had been going there for over a year - several times a week and neery a one bat of an eye. It was the confidence though. Swimpcap, Nose clip, collecting fruit, juice and subs for me and my brother out of night lunch, doing laundry, watching tv, Crossword puzzles. These are the actions of someone taking advantage of their rights.

So last night was the execution of the first night without Mike on Duty. I walked directly to the waters edge to see what temp was in store. 82. I noticed an old man in the office. He waved. I quickly moved to the ladies gym to get geared up.

I get in the pool only to discover its 78! The lifeguard approaches. He either said:
"You're not a merchant marine." or
"Are you a merchant marine???".

I don't think I look like a merchant marine.

"no."

That of course did not end the dialogue."do you take classes here?"

"I work in the dining room". Suddenly I have become myself 14 years ago. At this point I quickly end any lingering small talk and dive for it. While I am getting on probably one of the hottest cardiovascular workouts of my life. (lying and exercising), the new lifeguard pulls up a chair right at the end of my lane and turns on classic rock. This is so different from Mike falling asleep while watching tv in the chaise.

I give it a half hour swim. He takes the chlorine count while I'm in it and watches me everytime I came up for breath. I prepare to get out of the pool and he comes in next to the ladder asking q after q! "Can I use this door?...Can I get coffee?" He tells me how bored he is and he is glad that I am a regular. I go to get dressed. I kinda high tale it cause it was not a pleasant experience. I go back through the pool to toss my towel. He informs me that the office is paging me in the dining room. (he thought I left and forgot my swimgear) I nod, not sure if he realizes I am not an employee. I hop up the steps and slip out the side entrance my heart pumping waiting for a security guard to cut me off at the pass. I flee in my 2005 Corrolla rental. I drive over to the gas station and get a pastrami sandwich and call my brother in the parking lot next to a policecar. B-ha-d-ass.

No comments: