12.11.2005

"Turtle Soup"

So I like comedy. I went to see one of my favorite comedians perform in DC this weekend. My ma bought me his record last xmas. I listened once. I got the jokes. they were funny and unforgettable. Hence not listening again. Seeing him this time, we got the same jokes. I wanted to laugh for him. I did, because we were in the second row but I wanted to laugh for me.

Unless a bear is slapping a woman on a low budget program or a woman falls out of a bucket while stomping on grapes, or a skiier tumbles longways down the side of a mountain, or a bunch of monkeys is playing on tv and Jerri Blank is laughing, or some men on Reno 911 perform some dance steps during a routine sobriety check, I cannot expect myself to laugh more than twice at a joke. (the previous examples have failed to exhaust my funny bone)

back in the cassette age, I owned a copy of Richard Pryor live. That record I could drive around and listen too, and not laugh, but be entertained until the joke about "...turtle soup", and when he got to those words I would laugh.

correction: there were a couple jokes at the improv that got me. see the website for the "oh you'd be surprised" bit.

No comments: